Same Old Question: Why is My Computer So Slow All of a Sudden?
Summary: This 3-minute article explores the many reasons that computers slow down and how to make them run faster and keep them running at peak performance. Contact GEEKAID Computer and Network Support at https://www.geek-aid.com/ to discuss what IT support your SMB needs to maintain its computer system.
Few things are more frustrating than slow computers. Whether you’re experiencing long bootups, slow internet connections or slow-loading software applications, it all adds up to slowing down your SMB’s workflow. Ironically, these frustrations can occur with old and new computers. Unfortunately, even new computers can slow down after the first few months of use.
If you are frustrated and wondering, “Why is my computer so slow?” However, don’t let desperation set in. But before you buy a new computer, there are some steps you can try to speed things up.
How To Make Computers Faster
- Step One - Restart Your Computer – You might get back some operational speed by simply restarting your computer. Restarts should be done daily to clear the RAM cache and remove unnecessary temporary files.
- Manually Delete All Temporary Files – You can manually delete all temporary files at any time. Deleting temporary files will instantly free up some space.
- If You Don’t Use It, Lose It – Many of us keep programs bundled with our computers or purchased for a specific project we completed years ago. These applications take up hard drive space and may also be running in the background without your knowledge, thereby consuming RAM.
- Remove Unnecessary Startup Programs – By reducing the number of programs that are set to load with every bootup, you can speed up the time it takes to start up your computer.
- Analyze Hard Drive Storage – Hard drives constantly search active storage regions to enact your commands. As a result, when the hard drive storage gets full, it takes your computer much longer to find the files requested and access them for use.
- Increase RAM Memory – Random Access Memory or RAM is the memory that allows your programs and data you’ve opened to remain readily available. The more programs opened simultaneously, the more RAM you will need to maintain operating speed. RAM is a relatively easy and cost-effective fix to speed things up.
- Run a Defragmenting Utility – As already noted, an overloaded hard drive can slow everything down. By running a Disk Defragment Utility, you can automatically organize data in appropriate regions on the storage drive and remove any blank regions. Running a defrag utility will also show you what data takes up the most space. This knowledge will allow you to see if there are additional files you may delete to free up space.
- Run Overall Disk Cleanup – Running Disk Cleanup searches for and creates a “cleaning list” of possible items to delete, including:
- Unnecessary program files that can be safely deleted
- Internet Cache files
- Temporary files
- Switch To a Solid-State Drive – By using solid-state drives or SSDs rather than hard drives (HDDs), your storage will be more reliable and last longer. SSDs have no moving parts, like a spinning hard disk. Therefore, less power is required. By using less power, laptop users will enjoy longer battery life.
IT Maintenance and Computer Repairs
IT Maintenance is essential to maintaining a fast, secure and smoothly running system and network. All devices connected to your business network or used for doing business must be maintained regularly. They must also be analyzed for speed, ease of access and operation, and established security protocols and defenses to protect your hard-earned business data. With the expanded use of remote and work-from-home employees, having a team of IT experts to support your systems is imperative for a small to midsized business. Your IT support team can train your staff, update your software, inspect and monitor your hardware and provide iron-clad cyber security for all your devices and networks. GEEK-AID® Computer and Network Support specializes in customized Managed IT Services for small to midsized businesses. GEEK-AID®'s team of experts is comprised of top specialists in different areas of IT.
Managed IT Services
There are affordable options to help manage all your IT needs. GEEK-AID® Computer and Network Support specializes in customized Managed IT Services for small to midsized businesses. GEEK-AID®’s team of experts is comprised of specialists in different areas of IT services, serving clients onsite and remotely. The GEEK-AID® team doesn’t clock out at five o’clock on Friday. They are available 24/7 to ensure your computers, network and data stay healthy and secure. As your business grows, expands its network and adds more devices such as smart controls, wireless access and remote access, your network vulnerability and need for regular IT support will grow, too. Hardware and software installation and maintenance, repair, security and network protection must be consistent, proactive and not wait for a system failure or data breach to create a crisis management situation.
Call (877) GEEK-AID (877-433-5243) to evaluate and discuss your IT support needs and the steps that may be taken to keep your computer system and all its devices running at maximum speed and efficiency.