Major Mistake! Why You Should Not Use Pirated Windows Software
Summary: This 3-minute article explains why using a pirated copy of Windows is a bad idea. Learn the risks and why using a free copy of Windows is a better idea. Then, contact GEEKAID Computer and Network Support, the IT experts, at https://www.geek-aid.com/ to schedule a system evaluation.
“This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine”
It is natural to dread receiving error messages on your devices, especially when they are related to your system software. It is even more disturbing to receive the error message, “This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine.” This message means you have installed a pirated copy of Windows. Many users opt for pirated copies of Windows to save money. However, there are several critical reasons not to use pirated versions and they far outweigh the savings:
- You Might Not Receive ANY Windows Updates – If Microsoft detects a pirated copy of windows in use, it will deny the user updates. Microsoft is continually updating Windows. The updates include bug fixes, security enhancements and new features. Without updates, the bugs in your system will get worse and the security of your system and all connected devices could eventually be compromised. A user would be wise to use a free copy of a Windows operating system rather than a questionable pirated one,
- Declining Performance – Beyond the security issues related to pirated Windows software, legitimate Windows updates will keep your operating system functioning at maximum performance levels. Therefore, over time, a pirated copy of Windows that does not receive updates will start to slow down. Additionally, the bug fixes and enhancements not installed months ago can lead to a sluggish or malfunctioning computer system today or in the future.
- Cyber Security Vulnerabilities – Pirated copies of Windows can lead to serious cyberattack vulnerabilities. Because they do not receive security updates, pirated copies are particularly vulnerable to cyberattacks. Malware and viruses are much more likely to infect your system. If you are unlucky enough to be hit by a ransomware attack, your SMB’s operation could come to a grinding halt and possibly lock or erase your important files. Also, a pirated copy might be preloaded with malicious software that is present and operational from the moment the Windows copy is installed. In this instance, you will receive no support from Mircosoft and will be on your own.
- You Could Be Banned From Using Other Microsoft Products – Microsoft can detect fake licenses. By running pirated Windows, you run the risk that other Microsoft programs might not work and worse, you could be banned from using all Microsoft products. Is it worth it for you to never be able to access any Microsoft products? We think the answer is obvious… NO.
- Spyware – Authentic Windows uses an activation key to establish a connection with a Microsoft Windows activation server. Whenever using third-party or pirated Windows software, there is a chance that a hacker has programmed it to connect to a bogus activation server that will allow them to spy on your system. Such activation can open the door for a massive data breach of your most private and important data. If your SMB has legal compliance obligations, such attacks can lead to costly and devastating legal liabilities.
- Criminal Prosecution – Most of the time, the average user will not get caught using a pirated copy of Windows. However, if someone notices that you are using a bootleg copy, they could report the illegal use to Microsoft, who could decide to take legal action against you. If brought to trial and found quilty of using pirated software, the cost could be a considerable financial judgment against you or worse, prison time.
IT Professionals Can Perform Genuine Updates
Before falling victim to the problems related to using any pirated software, small to midsized businesses should consult IT experts about professional IT Maintenance.
GEEK-AID® Computer and Network Support provides world-class IT consulting services and specializes in customized computer network upgrades, installations, maintenance and repair for small to midsized businesses. GEEK-AID®'s team of experts is comprised of top specialists in different areas of IT services, serving clients on-site and remotely for Macs, PCs and all your connected devices, including new ones that are part of the ever-expanding IoT. They can answer all your IT questions from “How to find saved passwords on Macs?” to “When do I need to upgrade my company’s hardware?” More importantly, when your business network goes down, they will perform on-site computer repairs if required. And the GEEK-AID® team doesn't clock out at five o'clock on Friday. They are available to you 24/7, remotely or in person, to ensure your computers, network and data stay up-to-date, healthy and secure. As your business grows, expands its network and adds more devices such as smart controls, smart devices, wireless access and remote access, your network's cybercrime vulnerability and need for cyber security will grow, too. In addition to maintaining the hardware, software and security, employee training and regular IT support must be ongoing. New users and devices will require additional training to use those devices efficiently. Inter-related concerns include hardware and software installation and maintenance, repair, cyber security and network protection. They must be addressed consistently and proactively to best support the seamless operation of your company, minimizing costly and time-consuming mistakes.
Call (877) GEEK-AID (877-433-5243) to discuss how they can design, maintain and secure your SMB computer network with the correct, up-to-date hardware for your company.